NEW WEBSITE

Friday 29 June 2012

The Making of a Gemsbok Antelope

Last year I had a limited number of copies made from one of my sculptures, a Gemsbok antelope or Oryx.  This was quite a special one for me as it was the first time I had replicated any of my work.
I sent my Gemsbok off to be moulded from and over about two or three weeks I received 25 exact copies of my original Gemsbok, it was fantastic!
My Brother, Jesse Knibbs (Trigger Happy Entertainment) filmed me painting the copies and put together this beautiful film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6yr_-hKH-c&feature=plcp
The first scene is of the Gemsbok with their horns glueing, they remained like this for 24 hours.
Fettling is a hard task!  Fettling (if you don't know what it is!) is removing any excess plastic from where the casting was cut out of the mould.  Then I washed the models to get rid of grease and dust.
Next I put the primer coat of paint on, which in this case was white.  Then the base colour for the coat, after this is on I gradually build up different layers of colour using the dry brush technique.  Finishing off with the pattern details, horns, hooves and eyes.

Hope you enjoy the film!

No comments:

Post a Comment